Despite what many psychologists say, a guilt trip can be good, Pope Benedict told Brazilian bishops over the weekend.
Benedict argued that the core of today’s spiritual crisis comes from the fact that people have lost the sense of forgiveness, what he called the “grace of forgiveness,” or the sacrament of confession.
The Pope criticized currents in psychology which tend to try to do away with guilt.
Editor’s Note: Although I would vehemently disagree with many “currents in psychology” I do see a great danger for men and women to be ensnared in empty guilt. If the principal weapon in the arsenal of the Catholic Church be guilt, consider these verses from God’s Word:
- There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1-2)
- Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Phil 3:13-14)
- So shalt thou put away the guilt of innocent blood from among you, when thou shalt do that which is right in the sight of the Lord. (Deut 21:9)
- For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s. (1 Cor 6:20)
- For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord’s freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ’s servant. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. (1 Cor 7:22-23)
- Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. (Gal 5:1)
If Christ has forgiven you of all your sins do not allow Satan to bring you back into the doldrums of your sinful past (by the way, Revelation 12:10 identifies Satan this way- And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night), and let no man ensnare you with a guilt whereby he hopes to enslave you to his religious system. What we preach in Christ is redemption, restoration, regeneration and revival! Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away, behold all things are become new (II Cor. 5:17)!
HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED THE FORGIVENESS THAT COMES ONLY IN THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST? CLICK HERE to read more about knowing Christ as Saviour.