Matthew Henry said, “It will be a great comfort to us if trouble, when it comes, finds the wheels of prayer a-going, for then we may come with the more boldness to the throne of grace. Tradesmen are willing to oblige those that have been long their customers.” The question is, “Are the wheels of prayer a-going, or are they clogged with the affairs of this life?”
Observe the following nine things that clog the wheels of prayer from moving:
- Unconfessed Sin– Psalm 66:18- If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:
- Indifference to God’s Word– Proverbs 28:9- He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.
- Praying Selfishly– Luke 2:11- And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
- Wrong Motives– James 4:3- Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
- Not Helping the Poor– Proverbs 21:13- Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard.
- Not Fulfilling the Duties of Marriage– I Peter 3:7- Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
- Unforgiveness– Matthew 6:14-15- For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
- Not Tithing– Malachi 3:8-11- Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the Lord of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.
- A Lack of Faith– James 1:6-7- If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.