I have been a mixed bag of emotions recently concerning the soon return of Jesus Christ. This does not stem from the fact that I wish Christ would delay his return; there is nothing this world holds me for that I would be hesitant in parting with. In my heart I want to see my Lord. The reality, however, of that event is something awesome to contemplate.
Since I was a child I have heard the biblical teaching of the imminent return of Jesus Christ. As a matter of fact, every generation of faithful Bible preachers has seen that the coming of the Lord could happen at any moment. Regardless, we are nearer our salvation, than when we first believed.
Come lately, however, the implications of the imminent return of Christ have become something of great motivation for me. If Christ Jesus were to come today, that means that we shall all stand before him and give account of ourselves to God. The Lord Jesus shall evaluate our works, of what sort they are. There ought to be great excitement in all of our hearts as to see the Lord Jesus, the One who loved us and gave Himself for us. He is the One I have sung about, preached about, lived for, loved & served. The old song says,”Oh, I want to see Him, look upon His face. There to sing forever of His saving grace. On the streets of glory, let me lift my voice. Cares all past, home at last ever to rejoice.”
What are, therefore, the emotions that we should have concerning Christ’s return:
1. BOLDNESS- And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming (I John 2:28).
2. JOY, HOPE AND REJOICING- Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us. For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? For ye are our glory and joy.(I Thessalonians 2:18-20)
3. LOVE- I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing (2 Tim 4:7-8).
4. ANTICIPATION- Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. (Titus 2:13-14)
5. URGENCY- He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen. (Rev 22:20-21)
6. PATIENCE- Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. (James 5:8)
7. FEAR & SERIOUSNESS- For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences. (2 Cor 5:10-11)
8. READINESS- Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. (Matt 24:44)
9. BLAMELESSNESS AND HOLINESS- And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Thess 5:23)
10. COURAGE- Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. (2 Thess 2:1-2)
By living today for the Lord Jesus Christ and doing my best, I am preparing best for that day. Our Lord, as an eager bride-groom stands ready to receive His bride to Himself. That judgment is necessary so that He may complete the union of marriage. As imperfect as we all are, He shall perfect us and prepare us for that wonderful union.